No mess, no fuss, no dishes or saucepans to wash when you bake potatoes in their jackets. Just pop them in the oven when you are cooking another dish for dinner so it’s an energy efficient way to cook potatoes as well.
1 potato per person
Parsley or powdered paprika to garnish
- Make sure the potatoes are all much the same size so they will cook in about the same length of time
- Heat the oven to 150°C or 180°C
- Lightly scrub the potatoes leaving the skin on
- Place on a tray or rack in the oven and leave to cook for 45 – 60 minutes.
- It is energy efficient if you cook these potatoes alongside another dish, for example a beef or lamb casserole or a meat loaf. The other dish will determine the temperature and therefore the time needed to cook the potatoes.
- Test the potatoes by squeezing the sides with your fingers. The potatoes will be very hot so cover your fingers with a clean teatowel or several thicknesses of paper towels.
- When soft to touch, the potatoes are cooked
- Remove from the oven (again take care as they will be hot to touch)
- Make two slits at right angles in the top of each potato with a sharp knife
- Gently squeeze the sides of the potato so that some of the fluffy white potato oozes through the slits
- Spoon a dollop of yoghurt on top and sprinkle with chopped parsley and/or red paprika to add colour.
- Serve with a meat dish as part of a main meal