Its actually quite quick and easy to make your own tomato-based sauce for pasts dishes.
500 gms fresh tomatoes (or 2 cans chopped tomatoes)
¼ cup water
1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
2 tablespoons fresh mixed herbs – thyme, rosemary, basil (or 1 tablespoon dried mixed herbs)
- Peel and chop the onion
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the onion, and garlic
- Cook until the onion is translucent and remove from the pan
- Chop the tomatoes roughly and add with the water to the mince in the pan
- Chop the herbs and add to the pan along with the cooked onion and garlic to the pan
- Mix well, cover the pan and simmer gently for at least 20 minutes. (You can cook it gently for up to one hour – the longer cooking time gives more flavour).
- You can use immediately poured over cooked pasta and sprinkled with Parmesan cheese
- You can add beef mince to create Spaghetti Bolognese
- Alternatively you can leave it to cool and spoon it into plastic containers and freeze or bottle it and store for future use. Don’t forget to label your containers with the name of the product and date it is stored.