This soup is a delicious winter warmer. Equally you can serve it chilled in summer as a very refreshing first course for dinner or an alfresco lunch on the patio.
1.5 kg.ripe tomatoes
1 slice bread, broken up
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
½ teaspoon fresh basil
½ tsp. fresh or dried oregano
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- Put the tomatoes in a large microwave casserole, halving large ones
- Add the bread and sprinkle with salt, sugar, basil and oregano
- Add the chopped garlic and onion
- Cover and cook until mushy
- Cook on high 100% power for 10minutes, then lower to 50% and cook a further 10 minutes
- Break up the mixture with a potato masher and serve as a chunky soup
- If you want a smooth soup, stir and put through the food processor
- Add 1 tablespoon wine vinegar and taste, adding more if necessary.
- Serve immediately in a bowl with a spoonful of plain yoghurt on top and fresh crusty bread on the side
- If you don’t have access to cheap fresh tomatoes, you can use whole canned tomatoes instead and omit the sugar in this recipe.
- You can make this soup in the late summer and autumn when fresh tomatoes are plentiful and cheap, then freeze for future use.